For most families, an adoption is a wonderful experience and is a joyous time for celebration. However, due to a number of various circumstances, an adoption may not always have a happy ending. out for the best. When this occurs, many involved wonder whether an adoption can be reversed. According to Memphis Adoption Attorneys, if the adoption can be reversed or not solely depends on whether the process has been finalized and who wishes to reverse the adoption process.

What is an Adoption?

Adoption is the legal process where a person assumes the parenting of another person, who is usually a child, from that person’s biological or legal parent or parents. Adoptions that are legally completed permanently transfer all rights and responsibilities, along with filiation, from the biological parent or parents to the new legal guardian or guardians of a child.

Disruption of Adoption

If the adoption process has not been completed, any party can contact the adoption agency and disrupt the legal adoption proceedings for any reason. Those reasons that a disruption of adoption may happen from:

  • Marital difficulties on the part of the adoptive parents
  • Reconsideration of their decision to be parents
  • Discovery of health problems

Reversal by Adoptive Parents

If the adoption of the child has already been finalized, then the adoptive parents that wish to reverse the adoption of the child must file a petition with the court and prove why staying with the new adoptive parents is not in the child’s best interests.

Reversal by Adoptee

Now, there are times when the adopted child may want to reverse the adoption. This could be for a number of reasons. Those reasons include:

  • Bad relationship with the adoptive parents
  • Re-establishment of relations with the birth parents
  • Other circumstances

Again, a legal petition must be submitted to the court detailing the reasons why a reversal would be in the child’s best interests.

Adoptions Can Be Reversed

Depending on your role in the adoption, a reversal may indeed be possible, just make sure that you speak with a great family lawyer that works with adoptions for the best advice!